Sunday, August 1, 2010

Mulderbosch Rose `09 $10.99 (not TJ's) ****

How to take the edge off a terrible commute? (2 hours on the LIRR due to someone having a much worse day that I)

Arrive just past 10pm to a plate of delicious leftover salmon, pasta with capers, red peppers, garlic and anchovies. To complete the whole picture was a glass of this rose.  It made the long week and terrible commute melt into a distant memory.

I am really loving South African wines and this rose is just adding to my small list of tasty& economical bottles (the Indaba are stand outs as well).  It is a dry Cabernet Sauvignon rose, with a hint of citrus (grapefruit) and a fresh strawberry/fruity finish, not sweet, but bright.  Two glasses went down really well and were a taste treat accompanying the subtle wild sockeye salmon and the savory pasta.

I am going to give this wine four stars. It is a GREAT price point, a great change from typical white summer wine and it has a fun history from a South African Vineyard Mulderbosch, that has been in existence for centuries.

Note on the photography:  The pictures on this blog should be getting better.  I have just inherited a Nikon Digital SLR.  Although the photo above was taken by the chef on his new Olympus, the next post should have a photo from the Nikon, his hand me down to me.  I won't be hastily snapping with my Blackberry anymore. It was at their dinner table that I started traveling the world via wineglass, and Friday night's trip to South Africa proved that there is some great and exotic drinking out there that won't break the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment