Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Villa Cerrina Montepulciano DOC `08 $4.99 ****

It is Tuesday night, I just wanted plonk to go with dinner.  I grabbed a bottle off the top of the rack, checked the label and said why not?  WOW!  It was such a WOW, that after I opened it, I thought I screwed up and had to re-read the label (in my rack I have a very expensive Vino Noble Montepulciano I though I opened the wrong bottle by mistake). This is now my new favorite TJ's all around wine.

First sip, kinda fruity, long finish not many tannins. People may say that there is a leathery taste - hmmm, well for me that would be a really soft taste, nice smell - not fruity, deep. It smells and tastes like a wine that has been aged properly in barrels, and cared for.

Like I said, I ran to the rack to check my bottles - I couldn't believe it for the price.  After the vinturi - nah - it makes the wine too open and it enhances the tannins.  I like it straight from the bottle (well, via the glass).  For $4.99 grab a couple of these, keep 'em on the rack and when you are cooking pizza and antipasti for a quick dinner, or pasta, or pretty much anything casual, this is a great wine to pop open.

Menu:
antipasti (Grape tomatoes, shaved Parmesan, Ligurian sausage, buffalo mozzarella and balsamic vinegar)
Lavash pesto pizza

I am still looking for an apartment, so you'll be seeing a lot of food that seems familiar (I'm eating through the pantry and the wine rack).  If I don't find a new apt by 4/1, I'll be sofa surfing.  When I am settled in a new place, I promise that my menus will be back to the usual standard)

2 comments:

  1. This stuff is AWESOME! It's one of our favorites from any place -- we always have at least a few bottles on the rack. It's a great wine to bring to parties, because people are always really impressed and stunned by the cheap price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog and it's great - I especially love the concept since I live across the street from a TJs in DC. Thanks for all your helpful posts. I plan on picking up a bottle of this wine tonight. The La Loggia Barbera d'Alba '08 is my go-to and this one is 2 bucks cheaper. :)

    ReplyDelete