Sunday, June 1, 2008

Zafara Pinotage $3.99 **

Some people have BithDAYs, I have a BirthWEEK, and what an amazing week it has been. (Kerry, it started with your surprise during dessert on Tuesday (most memorable birthday moment in recent memory - details TBA)) So, yesterday may have been the official "day" but today we are celebrating with a nice, quiet lunch.

It is beautiful weather and the roses are in bloom. The steaks are marinading and the grill stands at the ready. Today we'll start with the Zafara Pinotage and then finish with Laurent-Perrier my favorite champagne.

Menu
Crab and Avocado Salad
Grilled Corn on the Cob
Grilled Skirt Steak
John & Aurora Ferreria's Portuguese Verde Sauce

And a Dessert Course
Fresh Fruit
Brie and Raspberries
and I have requested that my Birthday Cake be Croquembouche

I'll let you know the results later today. Now I am off to primp and set up my mise en place.

Ok the wine - first sip - not bad, but it is a threatening wine, it seems fragile like it is just has moments to drink and then it may turn. This wine took a long trip from South Africa to it's consumption in my garden in NYC. I bet that if you drank it at the vineyard after being in a stable environment, it would be a great wine. More after lunch.

Wow, the wine was good with the fattiness of the avocado & crab, not so good with the verde sauce. Two star wine, five star afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. We had this wine over Thanksgiving and will be back to buy more. This is an easy drinking red wine that I would highly recommend people giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Jeff, you convinced me. Maybe I had a bad bottle. I'll buy another and re-Review

    ReplyDelete
  3. we like the zarafa as well, but find it is inconsistent. I think that's just what you get with these cheap wines that are mass produced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zafara Pinotage:

    I found it a easy drinking wine. Not the best but far above 2 buck chuck. It paired well with spicy food.. and as just a drinking wine

    ReplyDelete